Frequently Asked Questions
Is bed linen included?
- Yes, bed linen and bath mats and are all provided in each property.
What will I find in the kitchen?
- The properties are all presented on a self-catering basis; as such we do NOT provide any food ingredients including condiments, oils and salt/pepper. From experience, we have found that some guests are not comfortable using foods they have not sourced themselves.
- You will find washing up liquid, soap, sponges, tea towels as well as rinse aid and salt for the dishwasher. We provide a few dishwasher tablets to get you going at the start of your holiday.
Are there BBQ facilities?
All properties have their own BBQs and utensils for alfresco dining!
Are towels available?
- Should you require towels, these are available upon request at €7.50 per set, payable on arrival. Each set consists of 1 large bath sheet, 1 hand towel and 1 pool towel.
- Please ensure that your requirements are noted at the time of booking, and we will have them ready for you on arrival.
Are the properties and grounds children-friendly?
Children are very welcome and we take care to provide a safe environment for the little ones.
We can provide stair gates where necessary and we endeavour to keep the gates closed to prevent access outside the grounds. The pool area is set in a closed walled garden that can only be accessed via a heavy gate.
- Our studio in the central courtyard provides comfortable seating and has a range of toys/games/books for all ages. It is an ideal spot to escape the heat (or rain!) with your little ones.
- You'll also find bicycles in varying sizes as well as one bicycle already fitted with a baby seat. We have watched many little ones progress from their first tentative wobbles at the beginning of the stay to confident tours of the safe, enclosed courtyards over the years!
Is there internet access?
All properties have free WIFI fibre internet access. A code will be provided during your stay. Due to our rural location, on occasions, we are unable to provide stronger or faster access.
Is cleaning included?
- Adequate end of stay cleaning is expected. Should you prefer, arrangements can be made for this to be done on your behalf for an additional fee:
Chateau €250 | Coach House €150 | Farm Cottage €100
- Complimentary mid-stay cleaning is offered to guests staying more than one week
Is the swimming pool heated? How long/deep is it?
The pool is comfortably heated but not to bath temperature! It is 12m x 6m and the depth ranges from 1.20m at the shallow end to 2.10m at the deep end. Children must be accompanied by an adult at all times.
Do I need a car?
- Yes! Whilst our local market town is close, unfortunately, it is not within walking distance. As public transport is not reliable or flexible in this region, we do strongly recommend that you have a car to get out and about.
Do you accept pets?
- We love pets but unfortunately, it is not practical to allow pets to stay whilst guests are sharing parts of our grounds. We are also conscious of allergies within the properties should future guests be sensitive.
Are all facilities available for guests' use?Absolutely; your stay includes the use of all facilities, including bicycles.
Is there shopping nearby?
- We are fortunate to have a number of supermarkets 5 mins away, including a large “Super U” which offers an excellent choice. The complex includes a pharmacy, shoe repair service, restaurant, tabac and florist. There is also an ATM and post box inside.
- For more specialist provisions, there is a delightful supermarket just further from Super U, which sells local seasonal produce...well worth a visit! In addition, there is a Lidl in the same area, Intermarché 5 mins away and Carrefour, 15 mins from us towards Saumur. We are well covered!
- For larger shopping centres, Angers (approx 35mins away) and Saumur (approx 20mins) provide an excellent range of shops, department stores and restaurants.
Can we arrange private wine tastings/vineyard visits?
Our local sommelier, Thierry Berson has a wonderful shop –“ATOUT VINS” in Place du Champ de Foire, just off the main square in Doué la Fontaine. He speaks excellent English and can arrange tastings for groups, either on-site or at some of the local vineyards.
Do you provide catering facilities?
We will do our best to help you arrange various dining options. We are happy to discuss this with you beforehand or during your stay.
Is it possible to do a day trip to Paris?
Paris is 3 hours by car or 1½hrs by train from Angers or Saumur by TGV. Tickets can be booked by telephone or Internet (www.voyages-sncf.fr) or directly at the stations. There is a station car park at Angers.
Have you appeared on TV?
We have! We have filmed for the Channel 4 series "Chateau DIY" (formerly "Escape to the Chateau DIY"). In series 2, episodes 18, 19 & 20, you will find us renovating our studio in the central courtyard, from a run-down bike shed to a beautiful yoga studio. We welcomed our retreat guests for the first time in the new studio on camera; they were true sports!
We have loved the experience of filming and indeed we also appear in series, episodes 6 & 7, where we build our beautiful pergolas that adorn the far end of our pool garden.
Booking Terms and Conditions
BOOKING TERMS & CONDITIONS
- The Property, a holiday home(s) forming part of Chateau de la Vigne is offered for holiday rental subject to these terms and conditions and subject to confirmation by the owners, Mr G Simpkin and Mrs M Simpkin (the Owners) to the renter and everybody in the renter's party (the Client).
- To reserve the Property, the Client should complete the online booking form together with payment of the initial non-refundable deposit (25% of the total rent due). Following receipt of the booking and deposit, the Owners will send a confirmation invoice and statement by email. This is the formal acceptance of the booking and no contract between the Owners and the Client will come into force until the Owners have sent the confirmation invoice and statement to the Client.
- The balance of the rent together with the security deposit (see clause 5) is payable not less than eight weeks before the start of the rental period. If payment is not received by the due date, the Owners reserve the right to cancel the reservation with immediate effect and the Owners may do so by oral or written notice to the Client. In the event that the reservation is cancelled, the Client will remain liable to pay the balance of the rent. If the Owners are able to re-let the Property, clause 6 of these booking conditions will apply. Reservations made within eight weeks of the start of the rental period require full payment at the time of booking.
- Any chargeable expenses arising during the rental period must be settled locally with the Owners or their representatives before departure.
- A security deposit of £250 for the Chateau, £150 for the Coach House and £100 for the Farm Cottage and Apartment for every rental period of each property is required in case of, for example, damage to the Property or it's contents. However, the sum reserved by this clause shall not limit the Client's liability to the Owners. The Owners will account to the Client for the security deposit and refund the balance due, after any proper deductions, within two weeks after the end of the rental period.
- Subject to clauses 2 and 3 above, in the event of a cancellation, refunds of amounts paid will be made if the Owners are able to re-let the Property for the cancelled period at the same rental, and any expenses or losses incurred in so doing will be deducted from the refundable amount. The Client is strongly recommended to arrange a comprehensive travel insurance policy (including cancellation cover) and to have full cover for the party's personal belongings, public liability etc, since these are not covered by the Owner's insurance.
- The rental period shall commence at 16.00hrs on the first day and finish at 10.00hrs on the last day. The Owner shall not be obliged to offer the accommodation before the time stated and the Client shall not be entitled to remain in occupation after the time stated.
- The maximum number to reside in the Property must not exceed that reserved on the booking form, unless the Owner has given written permission.
- The Client agrees to be a considerate tenant; to take good care of the Property and its contents and to leave it in a clean and tidy condition at the end of the rental period. Although a final clean is included in our main season prices, the Owners reserve the right to make a retention from the security deposit to cover additional cleaning costs if the Client leaves the â€œPropertyâ€ in an unacceptable condition. The Client also agrees not to act in any way which would cause disturbance to those resident in neighbouring properties.
- The Client shall report to the Owners or Owner's representative without delay any defects in the Property or breakdown in the equipment, plant, machinery or appliances in the Property, garden or swimming pool and arrangements for repair and/or replacement will be made as soon as possible.
- The Client shall report to the Owners or Owner's representatives should everything not be to their satisfaction as soon as possible after arrival and in any event before departure.
- The Owners shall not be liable to the Client:
- For any temporary defect or stoppage in the supply of public services to the Property, nor in respect of any defect or stoppage of any equipment, plant, machinery or appliance in the Property, garden, swimming pool or other leisure facilities.
- For any loss, damage or injury, which is the result of adverse weather conditions, riot, war, strikes or other matters beyond the control of the Owner.
- For any loss, damage or inconvenience caused to or suffered by the Client if the Property shall be destroyed or substantially damaged before the start of the rental period and in any such event, the Owner shall, within seven days of notification to the Client, refund to the Client all sums previously paid in respect of the rental period.
- For any consequential losses suffered by the Client in particular under sub-paragraphs (a), (b) and (c) above.
Under no circumstances shall the Owner's liability to the Client exceed the amount paid to the Owner for the rental period